One of my very first patients when I was just beginning my private practice came to me with complaints of heartburn. I prescribed Prilosec. She told me I was just treating her symptoms. I very quickly, forcefully, and confidently corrected her and said, “No ma’am, you have a disease. It’s called Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease and you have two options, continue to suffer with heartburn and risk esophageal cancer OR take the pharmaceutical I have prescribed. That’s it. Either or, your choice.”
At that time I truly believed that those were the only two options, suffer or take the meds. I believe that most Americans today also believe they have only those two options.
I now understand that there is another option. Option 3 consists of carefully and thoughtfully identifying the root causes of your symptoms or disease, addressing them comprehensively, and giving your body what it needs to overcome the challenges it is facing.
In the past sixteen months since I learned about “Integrative” of “Functional” medicine (See FAQ’s…) for more on what this is. I have seen many cases of fibromyalgia, reflux, diabetes, hypertension, chronic fatigue, depression, arthritis, obesity, and other “diseases” be resolved by addressing the root causes. It’s now become obvious to me: headaches are not from a deficiency of aspirin, reflux is not caused by your body’s lack of Prilosec, and high cholesterol does not come because of an absence of a Lipitor gland.
There is a root cause to your disease that can often be addressed so that you don’t have to medicate symptoms indefinitely.
I know this may sound strange or radical in America today because we have been trained to think in terms of the two options (mentioned above). But the following statistics indicate just how much our diet and lifestyle are affecting our heath.
- The Pima Indians of southern Arizona had absolutely no recorded cases of Diabetes in their history prior to World War II. Today 50% of that tribe is afflicted with that disease. The primary difference today is that they are eating the Standard American Diet (SAD) instead of their native diet.
- In Okinawa Japan they don’t even have a word for “osteoporosis” because it doesn’t exist there. But when those same Japanese women come to America, they will, over time, develop that “disease” at the same rate as American women.
- 40% of kids born in America today have one of the asthma/allergy/eczema “diseases.” In the rest of the world’s kids it’s about 10%. But when those kids from other countries move to America, their rates rise to the same 40%.
- One out of two Americans today will die from heart disease.
- One out of three women and one out of two men will get cancer in their lifetimes.
- The CDC has stated that the generation of kids born after the year 2000 will be the first generation of kids whose lifespan will be less than their parents (for the first time since the American Revolution).
- Autoimmune immune “diseases” are rising at a rate of 15-30% since 1960. There are now almost 100 autoimmune diseases.
- Before World War II, Americans were the healthiest people in the world. Now, out of the top fifteen industrialized countries in the world, we rank fifteenth in life expectancy. We are dying younger, going to the doctor more, taking more prescription pharmaceuticals, and being diagnosed with more “diseases” than anyone else.
I believe that by any measuring stick, we must, at the very least, start to question the “one symptom, one drug” paradigm. Here at Veritas Medical we have seen for ourselves the failure of that paradigm.
We will never be able to medicate or operate our way out of a disease we “behaved” ourselves into.
But we have also seen the power and efficacy of the new paradigm that works with the body, removing the causes of disease and strengthening its natural defenses.
We invite you to come explore this new paradigm and the science that validates its legitimacy. Come hear from our patients here (See Patient Testimonials..) Come read Dr. Edwards’ story of transition from the old conventional paradigm to the “doctor of the future” that Thomas Edison was referring to (Meet Dr. Edwards). And come to one of our free introductory meetings (See Events). All are welcome!
Come and find out for yourself if this more natural, intuitive health approach isn’t what you have been searching for all along!